Click on the items below to see quick answers to frequently asked questions.
For more detail, view the Rules and Regulations, link found on the right side of page under "Quick Links."
1. MS Licensure Requirements
2. Board Qualified Supervisors (LPC-S)
- What are the requirements for a MS Board Qualified Supervisor (LPC-S)?
- How do I find a Board Qualified Supervisor (LPC-S)
- Board Qualified Supervisors are identified by the LPC-S credential. They are sometimes referred to as BQS, but the correct credential is LPC-S. Board Qualification is a credentialing process. LPC-S is the credential that is the result of the process. To find a Board Qualified Supervisor (LPC-S), use the “Licensee Search” navigation tab on the left side of the LPC webpage. Use the “Board Qualified Supervisor (LPC-S)” link to search by license #, name, city or county.
3. LPC Data Detail
How to Review your Data Detail
To verify renewal dates and current address on file, use "Licensee Search" on the left navigation bar, enter either your last name or your four-digit license number, and "click" search. If you need to update your address, login to your profile and make the change. Login and Profile Instructions
4. License Renewal
2015 License renewal reminders will be emailed in May. Please be aware, however, that failure to receive this notification does not relinquish your responsibility for timely renewal. Renewal forms must be returned to the LPC Board office PRIOR to June 30, 2015, to remain Active Status and to avoid reapplication fees. This is an online process. You will be required to login, review and update your profile information, enter Continuing Education hours for the renewal period, and submit payment of renewal fee. If you do not wish to use the online renewal system, you may mail a renewal application and, Continuing Education Reporting form along with check or money order for the renewal fee. Paper forms can be found in the Forms section on the left-hand column of the website and then selecting 2015 License Renewal Form and CE Hours Reporting Form.
Biennial License Renewal
License and Board Qualified Supervisor Certifications are renewed every two years (biennially).
Continuing Education Hours for Renewal
- 24 CE hours are needed for renewal.
- 6 must involve topics in professional ethics or legal issues in the delivery of counseling services
- Board Qualified Supervisor (BQS) renewal coincides with LPC renewal.
- A Qualified Supervisor will need to complete a minimum of one (1) hour of supervision continuing education per year; a minimum of two (2) hours per renewal period.
- Hours to be reported must be for the time period since your last renewal.
i.e. 2015 renewals report continuing education hours for the period July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2015.
Approved Continuing Education Criteria - Rule 6.2(C)
Continuing Education approved by the following entities, and others, that meet standards similar to or exceeding those required by Board:
- American Counseling Association
- American Mental Health Counselors Association
- Mississippi Counseling Association
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therappy
- The National Board of Certified Counselors
Search for an NBCC Approved Continuing Education Provider
Refer to the NBCC website for other ways to earn credits.
i.e. College/University professors may earn limited number of credit hours for NEW program development with proper documentation.
5. License Verification
How do I verify a Licensed Professional Counselor in MS?
To verify a MS Licensed Professional Counselor, use the "Licensee Search" in the left navigation of the website. Enter name, license number, city, or county and then "search." To request if the MS LPC has any disciplinary actions on file, submit a written verification request by mail, email, or fax on your company's form or use the Form found in the Forms section. No verifications will be given over the phone.
6. Mailing Lists
- How to order a mailing list of MS LPCs?
- The MS LPC Board will no longer offer mailing lists for purchase.